Are you looking for reasons why civilian Veterans love Arlington? Arlington is home to more than 120,000 civilian veterans and there is a big reason why Arlington in particular is popular: There is a strong sense of community and military pride. Not quite a “Civilian” yet? Even if you are Active Duty or a Reservists, you are probably thinking about where you want your last station to be or maybe you are considering Arlington for your next tour. Either way, Arlington is a great choice because it is the epicenter of the United States Government meaning centrally located to some of the most prestigious military bases in the world, including Andrews AFB, Fort Bevloir, Fort Detrick, Fort McNair, Fort Meade, JB Anacostia – Bolling, JB Myer – Henderson Hall, Marine Barracks, Naval Medical Center, Naval Research Laboratory, Navy Yard, NRO Chantilly, Quantico, The Pentagon, and Walter Reed it is also mere miles from downtown Washington D.C. Additionally, Arlnow.com recently remarked that “Not only has Arlington County [been] ranked as fittest city and best place to live in the country, according to a new study we’re now also the most handsome in all the land.” Okay, okay, we may have been having a little fun with that, but hey, it is probably somewhat true right! So, you are considering a move to Arlington and you want to know why you should choose our city over another. Here are my top 6 reasons to move to military-friendly Arlington Virginia:
- Our 120,000+ civilian veteran community is strong, educated, and sharp, and the support network is extensive. Arlington is home to Military and Veterans Affairs Committee (MVAC), an organization dedicated to supporting and strengthening the relationships “between local active duty and civilian military commands, the local veteran’s community, Arlington County government, County residents and the local business community.”
- The job opportunities for Civilian Veterans are abundant and in high demand. Whether you are looking to work for a defense contractor, get into cyber security, join the federal government or anything in between, there is no shortage of options.
- If you are active duty military and are eligible for a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), this is a huge advantage for you if you decide to purchase a home in Arlington. This allowance is tax-free giving you a have a tremendous opportunity to buy a home and build equity using tax-free funds in one of the best real estate markets in America (also a great rental market).
- Not only is Arlington part of the heart of American government, it is also home to Arlington National Cemetery, U.S Marine Corps Memorial, Pentagon Memorial, Air Force Memorial, Women in Military Service for America Memorial and many more, surrounding Veterans and locals with an abundance of military history.
- Arlington has a number of commuting options to include the Metro, VRE, buses, and bike sharing. Additionally, Arlington is located miles from Ronald Reagan National Airport and Dulles International Airport making travel in and out of the city very easy.
- There are tons of neighborhoods in Arlington that are heavily populated by Veterans to include: Ballston-Virginia Square, Burgundy Woods, Cameron Station, Clarendon, Hayfield Farms, Hollin Hills, Kingstowne, Leeway Overlee, Shirlington, Westover and many more.
If you are looking for a Realtor that specializes in Arlington real estate, give me a call. In all honesty, I know the market very well because I have lived here all my life. With me, you can find the real specialized help that you’re looking for (without all the rigmarole most realtors put clients through). I am a straightforward guy (former cop) and will listen earnestly to your needs, and then help you meet them. When I am not working you might find me doing CrossFit, hanging with my family and friends, enjoying a good craft beer with buds, or traveling.
Bonus, I’m pretty social too! Follow me on Facebook @Brad Winkelmann Real Estate Arlington VA, Orange Line Metro.